Why make any changes now?
Because challenging times often require change and adaptation.
In a post-covid world, inflation is but one of the repercussions most economies have to deal with. However, in the case of small and big businesses alike, it is a daunting challenge to overcome.
Going further beyond recent events, the most difficult obstacle to business proficiency has always been the lack of two fundamental things – time and money.
In the case of fleet centered activities – this lack of and constant need for the two essential resources boils down to having a good organization and communication, and a good control over fuel consumption.
How can you ensure a good organization and control over fuel consumption?
For vehicles of any kind, keeping track of their location and history and communicating relevant data means having a monitoring system set in place, for constant updates.
A monitoring system mostly refers to GPS based technology. For a better understanding of how it works and how it can help you achieve your goals, this article will provide you with the following insights:
- What is a GPS Tracking System?
- What is it made of and how does it work?
- How can GPS systems be useful for your business?
- What does a good GPS System mean?
- How do I choose the right one?
- How can it be implemented?
- What will I gain once I’ve implemented it?
- How does a GPS System help me save resources?
- What is the best GPS based software for your business?
- What ideas should I focus on?
1. What is a GPS Tracking System?
- A GPS – Global Positioning System – is based around a network of satellites that orbit the Earth.
- The network, referred to as GNSS – Global Navigation Satellite System – communicates with GPS devices and sends them information such as location, speed, time or direction.
- GPS Tracking is done through a device installed on a vehicle, an object or on a person to determine their location and to monitor their movement.
2. What is it made of and how does it work?
- The GPS device set up on the vehicle sends out information such as location, time or speed to the main server.
- The Server then stocks and processes the information and makes it available on a user-friendly interface or platform.
- The fleet manager uses the platform to access and organize the information.
A GPS device is made out of:
- A GPS receptor for determining location;
- A GSM modem for sending out the information registered by the receptor to the software system;
- And optionally, a CAN BUS connector for checking the condition of the vehicle in real time (fuel level, engine speed, etc);
3. How can GPS systems be useful for your business?
Real time communication between coordinators and drivers makes possible the processing of new information, as well as the adaptation to unpredictable changes. As a business owner or fleet manager, you get a comprehensive overview of field operations and are able to make the best decisions at all times.
The monitoring of driving behavior, in relation with pre-established driving rules and vehicle maintenance – results in better adherence to company policies and in lower accidents risk.
- Fuel consumption
Through the devices set up on the vehicles, you’ll always know what the state of the engine is, as well as the level of fuel available. The analysis of fuel waste behavior will result, in a short amount of time, in the prevention of major repetitive costs.
By being aware of your vehicle’s condition at all times and having the option to set alarms to remind you of taxes due and of other necessities – you will avoid extra costs and any vehicle malfunction.
By monitoring driver behavior and by identifying drivers and keeping score of them – you will manage to make your team more responsible, so that tasks will be accomplished both in the safest as well as in the fastest way possible.
A software that communicates with the GPS devices and with the main server can analyze and interpret data about fleet activity and make them available on an easily accessible platform by any fleet coordinator. This data can be then used to make reports on different kinds of activities.
4. What does a good GPS System mean?
Aside from basic functions, such as:
- Determining and monitoring the location of the vehicles;
- Verifying the distance to an address;
- Getting notified when the vehicles move outside work hours or outside the established area.
It is important for a GPS monitoring system to have:
- Easy to use hardware and software – a lot of GPS systems are made for a certain kind of fleet or business, often of big dimensions. Finding the right system is essential.
- Quality customer service – a support and guidance system in implementing and using the software, as well as in solving problems is just as important as the quality of the product itself.
- Good pricing and transparent costs – depending on necessities, a varying selection of plans (monthly, annually, or other options) can provide you with the flexibility you need in making the right decisions and necessary changes along the way. Another important aspect regarding acquisition is avoiding hidden costs. A good GPS System, from a trusted brand should not, by any means, have unspecified costs in its offer. To make sure you avoid this, always carefully read the terms and conditions specified in the contract.
5. How do I choose the right one?
- Hidden costs
As I have just mentioned, transparency in pricing is essential in choosing a trustworthy GPS monitoring system. This way, the final quoted price, or summed up with recurrent hidden taxes can be incompatible with initial expectations and cost you a lot of money.
- Easy to use interface and software
The accessibility of information and its efficient coordination depends heavily on the software’s operating system and on how adaptable it is to different activities, but especially, on how easy or hard it is to navigate for users of different backgrounds.
- Updated system, with relevant functions
A good part of GPS Systems available on the market does not meet the demands of present reality. Look out for updating procedures when you’re looking to buy, to make sure it has at least 4 separate updates a year. Also, make sure the system has a manageable interface and relevant functions by checking reviews or through direct contact via free trials.
6. How can it be implemented?
- What will the installation process look like?
Once you have chosen the company and the product, you will have to communicate the make and model of the vehicles you want to monitor to ensure a proper configuration of the software. Most GPS Systems come with an automated installing process or at least, an assisted one. Choose a flexible company that can match your schedule, for a long term collaboration.
- What kind of training will I get?
A training or an initiation in the system’s way of operating is essential in ensuring an easy and efficient implementation process. Most times, you will either have live training or access to tutorial videos. By going through the initiation information with a needed level of supervision, the time to implement, adapt and assimilate the new changes will considerably decrease.
- Will I always have a customer support system available?
The majority of the companies that offer monitoring services through a GPS based system, provide constant guidance and assist in solving technical issues or in finding alternatives when needed. Make sure to take into consideration the quality of the company’s customer service – it should be centered around individuals that not only master their craft but are also capable of delivering their expertise with a lot of patience and friendliness.
7. What will I gain once I’ve implemented it?
- You will prevent the misuse and theft of vehicles
Aside from monitoring the condition and location of your vehicles, you will have access to road data to make sure they aren’t being used for personal gains, as well as to be able to identify and find stolen assets. Moreover, through the interpretation of the data sent by the GPS devices, you will be notified when the cars step over certain boundaries, place related or otherwise.
- You will be able to identify drivers and vehicles anytime
With a fleet management system, you will have the option to identify the closest vehicle to an address and thus save timp in making deliveries or in any related task. What is more, since the software is constantly updating – once every 20 seconds (if it’s a good one) – the location data will be very precise.
In other words, you will reduce the response time to customer related concerns and you will be able to organize your team’s activity every step of the way, saving a lot of time and resources in the process.
- You will improve customer service
Reducing response and management time will result in faster services and thus, in increased customer satisfaction. In time, the company name will be associated with a high standard of quality, in as far as both product and customer service is concerned.
- You will reduce fuel consumption
The biggest problem concerning fleet costs is, without a shred of doubt, excessive fuel consumption. Optimizing its usage is of utmost importance and the difference in money waste once achieved can be huge.
- You will increase traffic safety
Through a GPS monitoring system, you can decrease traffic risk by:
- Monitoring your team’s driving style and identify inadequate behavior in traffic;
- Establish an internal rulebook regarding driving, based on the fleet’s activity;
- Set up alerts for stepping over boundaries established in the rulebook.
- You will have an overview of all fleet operations and be able to:
- Know where your drivers are, at any time;
- Quote customers accurate timeframes;
- Always know the condition and the availability of vehicles;
- Find out immediately which driver is near a certain address;
- Have access to automated information archives;
- Provide Proof when clients don’t show up to meetings;
- Keep track of customer meetings and related tasks.
- You will reduce carbon dioxide emissions
By shortening mileage, you will contribute to CO2 reduction and to protecting the environment whilst also improving your brand image.
8. How does a GPS System help me save resources?
By implementing a monitoring system, you will be able to get rid of three fundamental concerns:
- Unpredicted costs;
- Bad customer service.
Through its functions, you will be able to prevent useless costs and to increase profit, as you optimize the fleet operations in relation to your customers’ needs.
How will you go about doing so?
- Through route optimization
Imagine how much fuel waste is made by just one driver when they have to turn around and find a different route, to redo certain travels or to go around in circles, maybe even more than once a day. Using the information provided by the GPS systems, you will be able to get rid of such inconveniences and reduce fuel consumption. You will save both valuable resources and time.
- By optimizing task assigning
Who is available to fill in holes in the schedule? Find out which driver is free and closest to a location in need of attendance and always cover unpredicted situations using a GPS System. More so, see in real time all free agent to assign unresolved tasks and to prevent using fuel for personal gains.
- By avoiding time waste
You have probably heard the saying `times is money` so often that you are sick of it. The reason why it is so often mentioned though is because it addresses unfortunately a universal problem that any business owner faces constantly – the lack of time to review, to experiment or, even more concerning, powerlessness in preventing time waste. However, you have the opportunity to monitor your fleet and prevent time waste with a good tracking system. Choose the right one and your fleet will be ready for action at all times.
By analyzing reports regarding wasted time and its causes, you will be able to find use for it and optimize schedule coordination.
- By increasing productivity
Wasted time can turn into missed opportunity which can in turn result in overtime. Through constant monitoring however, the schedule can be wasted-free and the field team can always be ready to manage oncoming situations.
- Through improved communication
If you want to communicate routes, tasks and schedule updates in real time, a GPS tracking system is the ideal solution. Accompanied by the proper software, all data will be stocked, processed and interpreted in real time, so that it will be ready anytime to coordinate activities and make and assign the right tasks. You will, first and foremost, save time and resources by avoiding unnecessary trips and wasted time.
- By reducing maintenance and operational costs
How do you know when a car is in need of care? How about when team members don’t stick to maintenance procedures? With a GPS Tracking System, you will be notified when a vehicle approaches tax and services related deadlines. You will also be notified if the drivers do not use the vehicle in accordance with established guidelines, showing signs of aggressive driving or other inappropriate behavior.
- Through improving driving behavior and reducing the risk for traffic accidents
Overspeeding, over accelerating and other such tendencies in front of the wheel increase traffic risk as well as fuel consumption. In the long run, this means material losses and damage to brand image and trust. Monitoring driving patterns will prevent such negative scenarios.
9. What is the best GPS based software for your business?
Based on fleet needs and on its size and activity, you can have a wide range of options with varying prices. Aside from the essential aspects already mentioned – avoiding hidden costs, choosing an easy to use interface and software – you need to consider how easily it can be configured and adapted to any kind of fleet activity and how much experience on the market it brings, and subsequently, how much guarantee it provides.
The safest way to make the best decision is by testing the product beforehand and seeing it in action. You can use Nexus GPS Tracking as a starting point. More precisely, a GPS Tracking System with over 15 years of activity on the market; with a solid base of satisfied customers.
Apart from its easy to use platform, the Nexus GPS Tracking operating system leaves room for a high level of personalization – both regarding functions and basic options, as well as operating style.
What is more, the implementation process is easily accessible and permanently guided, at the end of which you are met by an ongoing support system and by well prepared representatives, to offer you solutions for any issue or to find solutions for you promptly, whenever necessary.
You will be able to get rid of the obstacles that have been keeping you from saving time and resources. Also you will be able to do so hassle free and in a short timeframe.
How do I save resources with Nexus GPS Tracking?
If you follow a few simple steps, the results will also follow:
- You monitor fuel consumption, your team’s driving style and vehicle location
Nexus GPS Tracking has all the functions necessary for fuel consumption monitoring and analysis; based on speed, stationary time, traveled routes and other factors. Keeping track of all of these aspects will prevent costs and traffic accidents.
- You keep track of vehicles, assets, and activities
Through its ability to uniquely identify a driver, a vehicle or a place, Nexus GPS Tracking will help you differentiate between routes traveled for personal reasons and routes traveled for business purposes, and the related fuel consumption. You will be able to better manage the fuel budget and make your team more responsible at the same time. Also, identifying vehicles will allow for a better schedule. This will help you have an easier process of assigning vehicles to drivers, as well as tasks.
- You centralize data and make reports
The aforementioned monitoring and tracking can’t be done or may not even have a purpose without a solid database and a way to centralize, analyze and interpret the field team’s data. On the Nexus GPS Tracking platform, you will have access to data recorded in real time by the GPS devices. This means having information about the location and the condition of the vehicle and about routes; which you will be able to process and analyze instantly; and then turn into reports that greatly aid fleet coordination and operations optimization.
- You communicate data and send messages in real time
All received and processed information will contribute to route updates and task reassignment in an orderly and timely manner. The Nexus GPS Tracking System will help you organize your team so that you avoid overusing vehicles, drivers without activity or unnecessary trips. All of these improvements will lead to considerable savings in resources – both time and cost wise.
How do I benefit from Nexus GPS Tracking?
Contact us for a Free Consultation, here.
Find out more information here.
And before you go…
10. What ideas should I focus on?
- A GPS Tracking System is built around a network of satellites that communicate with GPS devices installed on vehicles. That means giving out data such as location, speed and so forth.
- The device set up on the vehicle sends out data to the main server which processes it and makes it available on an interface or platform.
- A GPS Tracking System can be the help your business needs in organizing, safety, in fuel control, vehicle maintenance, in maintaining productivity and a database.
- A good GPS Tracking System has easy to use hardware and software, quality customer service and transparent costs.
- In buying a tracking system, you need to consider possible hidden costs, the accessibility of the interface and the actuality of its functions.
- The installation process, the available instruction and support system are also important when looking for options.
- Once installed, you will prevent vehicle misuse and theft; you will identify drivers at any time; you will improve customer service; increase traffic safety; have an overview of fleet activity; and reduce CO2 emissions.
- Through route and task assigning optimization, through avoiding wasting time, through increased productivity; communication and driving behavior, as well as through reduced maintenance and operating costs. This is achieved with the help of a GPS Tracking System. You will get rid of three fundamental concerns: useless costs, accidents and customer dissatisfaction.
- In making the best decision, trying the product out beforehand is very convenient and helpful. You can try out Nexus GPS Tracking for free to get a glimpse of its easily accessible software and interface; and of its diverse configuration options and its assisted installation process.
- Nexus GPS Tracking will help you save a considerable amount of time and money by monitoring fuel levels, driving behavior; and by keeping track of drivers, vehicles and assets; by centralizing data and making reports and by communicating data and sending messages in real time.
You can find more information about GPS Tracking Systems and about how you can benefit off of them, here.
Over here, you can find out who Nexus is and how it can help you manage your company.
Don’t forget, however, that theory does not have much value without practice and don’t hesitate to follow your aspirations; especially when you already have all the necessary tools to succeed.